Checklist for Selecting an Internet Provider
- Will the coverage provided meet your needs?
- Are there areas where you will be out of service?
- How reliable is the service provider?
- Do they have a reputation for providing uninterrupted service?
Speed of the network:
- Will the speed they provide meet your needs?
- Are there times of the day where the network becomes slower?
Internet Connection Types:
- Cable, dial-up, DSL, fibre optic, or satellite – can the service provider provide the connections required?
- How much does the service cost?
- What is the customer service like?
- What do other people say when they have issues?
- Antivirus, IP filtering, and port blocking – what level of security do you need and what level is being offered?
- Prediction Post – What will the Network be in 10 Years?
- Security first – no more passwords with knowledge base or biometric authentication.
- Smart networks – auto detection of malicious or unauthorized activity with approval and reporting.
- Fibre (or better) to all devices with increased speed and connectivity.
- Everything connected (IoT) – everything will have an IP and be connected.
- Data mining and analysis – decisions will be derived from the data analytics and less from best practices or frameworks.
- In the cloud – no more local servers or databases; everything will be virtual and offsite.
- Software-defined network – controls will be applied by smart logic software and be adaptable.